History of Bedeword Lodge
The following is the derivation of the word ‘BEDEWORD’, as compiled by W. Bro. E.H.Green, who was a Founder and Worshipful Master of Bedeword Lodge No: 7274 in 1954.
The Petition for the Bedeword Lodge was presented by twenty two Founders from Nuneaton and Coventry, actuated by a desire to bring Freemasonry to the extensive area lying between these Masonic centres. And as Bedeworth forms the core of that area, it was felt that the name of the new Lodge should be associated with that town.
Bedeword is the Anglo-Saxon spelling of Bedworth as it appears in the Doomsday Book. In the centuries before the Norman Conquest, the lands of the Great Lords were let out in Holdings, each of which was called a “worth”; and as the territory in which we are interested was the “worth” of one Beada, the origin of the name becomes evident.
Research, however, discloses a fault in the spelling. In those days the sound “the” was indicated by crossing the letter “d” as in our day we cross the letter “t”. The scribe overlooked the crossing of this final consonant, with the result that the spelling in the Doomsday Book does not correctly indicate the pronunciation which has existed through the centuries.
The discrepancy was carefully considered by the Founders and in order to avoid confusion and difficulty it was decided to apply modern sounds to Anglo-Saxon spelling. Thus the name officially authorised is a word of two syllables; Bedeword - pronounced Bead-word.
The Crest of the Lodge is an adaption of that used by the Bedeworth U.D.C (prior to amalgamation with Nuneaton to form the Borough Council) Especially it was realised that the motto: ‘We grow by industry’ was eminently pertinent to Masonary and accordingly it was incorporated into the Lodge Crest in the Latinised form; Industria Crescimus - By our industry we grow.